What should newborn wear?
Newborns are getting used to so many things and clothing is one of them. If you are not careful with it, you will end up irritating the baby, which means you’re in for more cries. Well, we don’t want that, do we? Clothing has to be given importance from day one. So here are a few things that you need to remember while dressing your newborn little bundle of joy.
Go for soft fabrics– The softer the better. Many parents choose organic cotton clothing because it has no harmful chemicals in it. As the newborns’ skin is extremely delicate and porous, it makes it essential for parents to watch what kind of clothes and fabric are put on the baby.
Diapers – What’s a newborn’s life without diapers! Again, use a diaper that is soft and keep checking if it’s creating rashes. Switch brands if you think the one you are currently using is causing irritation. If it continues, then you may consult a paediatrician.
Sleepsuits– Sleepsuits are great for newborns especially the ones with snaps and diagonal-zippers that make changing of clothes and diapers easy. The diagonal zipper also ensures there’s no irritation around the baby’s neck.
Onesies – Onesies also work well because onesies come with a stretchable neck. They are the most popular clothing option for babies as they are very comfortable and cosy.
Kimono-style tops – If you are from a cold place, then you can just put a diaper and a kimono-style top that is very easy to wear and remove. You can also go for a singlet + diaper. These are the best for the initial 20 days as these clothes won’t irritate the umbilical stump.
How should I dress my newborn at night?
At night, it is very hot, put on a diaper, singlet and swaddle the baby. Or you can go for a diaper + sleep sack combination of the baby doesn’t like to be swaddled. If it is not very hot, you can go from sleepsuit + swaddle or onesie + swaddle.
Tiny Twig is a brand that has sleepsuits with fold back cuffs. It covers the baby’s palms and feet too. It works like mittens and footsies but it is built-in. The baby will avoid scratching himself and also mosquitoes. This also helps you reduce the hard time you have with socks. Why can’t one never find a pair! However, if you are opting for socks, you must ensure the elastic is not tight.
General tips for dressing a newborn:
- You may watch out for the detergents used. If it has a strong fragrance it will irritate the baby.
- Prioritize comfort over fashion, always. Even if you don’t, a lot of your friends and family will give you clothes as gifts. If you don’t think the clothes are suitable for your baby’s sensitive skin, don’t go for it. You can put on fashionable clothes when your baby is a little older.
- Beanies help the baby regulate the temperature as they are not completely capable of doing it on their own. Invest in some adjustable beanies that match the sleepsuits and onesies.
- If you are buying organic clothes, always ensure the clothes are certified. Brands will have a label that says they are organic and also mention the certification. For example, GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) is a credible certification.
- Don’t put a heavy blanket on your baby when he is sleeping. It is a complete no-no.
Now you are all set to dress your newborn baby with confidence. Wrap your baby with soft clothes, your warmth and love. Also, here are few ideas for the new mom to stay stylish during pregnancy.Mom BlogsNewborn baby dressingStylish New Mom