Does your dandruff annoy you to the point you just want to shave your head? Have you tried 1000 different shampoos but nothing works? Or you didn’t want to bet your scalp on chemicals? In this article, we’ll go through the best 5 natural hair remedies to treat dandruff that actually works.
Why does dandruff happen?
Did you know that your hair scalp always produces flakes? But not all flakes cause scalp problems like itching and inflammation. When these skin flakes become extremely large, that is what we call dandruff. In severe cases, dandruff can cause hair loss.
The most prominent symptom of dandruff is an itchy scalp. If you have dandruff, it may be because of one of these reasons:
- Not cleaning your hair regularly
- Infrequent use of shampoo
- Using hair products that damage your natural hair
- Skin conditions like eczema
- Hormonal imbalance
- Stress or anxiety
- A yeast called Malassezia globosa
Why your scalp is dry: Buildup vs Dandruff
Dandruff is when you feel inflammation, along with excessive itching. If you have an itchy scalp, dandruff is not always necessary. The itchiness maybe because of other reasons as well:
- Excessively using hair products such as hair serums, hair gels, shampoos with many unfriendly chemicals and so on.
- Too much exposure to cool air.
- Elders may have more itchy and dry skin.
If you do have to use hair products, choose ones with natural ingredients.
Buildup from one of the above reasons looks different than dandruff. It will appear translucent rather than dandruff that is primarily white or sometimes yellow.
Also, if you are confused about recognising buildup, note that it usually extends to the hair strands, whereas dandruff is more likely to occur only on the scalp.
How can you distinguish dandruff from dry skin?
Dandruff causes itchiness along with inflammation. But if you have dandruff, you’ll also notice big white or yellow flakes mainly on the surface of the scalp. You may also feel that your hair scalp has become oily or scaly. As mentioned above, this can also lead to more severe side effects i.e. hair fall.
In the case of a dry scalp, the skin of other parts of your body may become dry too. However, dry scalp flakes don’t usually fall off, but if you have a lot of dandruff, it could easily be visible on your shoulders too. And it would be far more noticeable if you’re wearing dark clothes.
What doesn’t cause dandruff?
Now that we’ve gone through the basics of dandruff, here are some dandruff myths busted:
- You cannot catch dandruff from someone else (like lice etc.)
- Poor hygiene does not necessarily cause dandruff.
- Excessive oil in the scalp causes dandruff rather than dryness.
- Sulfur is one of the substances that can help remove dandruff rather than cause or increase it.
5 natural hair remedies to recover your hair from dandruff
The best part about natural hair remedies is that they are suitable for everyone.
While it may seem like damage from dandruff is irreversible, that’s far from the truth. Here are some natural hair remedies for you to remove your dandruff.
Not just one oil, but many types of oil provide excellent recovery from dandruff. Here are three oils to try out for reducing or eradicating dandruff symptoms and effects:
Coconut oil very effectively hydrates the skin.
- Leave it on your hair scalp for approximately 20 minutes.
- Wash it thoroughly with regular shampoo.
- Repeat it twice or thrice a week.
A well-hydrated hair scalp will prevent both dryness and dandruff.
Tea Tree Oil
Using tea tree oil will not only fight dandruff but will also prevent another condition called seborrheic dermatitis.
- Dilute tea tree oil in equal parts water or mix it with coconut oil.
- Apply it onto your scalp.
- Repeat three times a week.
- You can also mix it with coconut oil.
Tea tree oil will reduce the effects of dandruff by nearly half a percent.
Olive oil is not only delicious; it’s good for the hair too.
- The best way to use olive oil to remove dandruff is to heat it until it is lukewarm.
- Apply it onto your scalp.
- Wrap your hair around with a towel to get effective results.
- You could leave olive oil overnight or for over half an hour before taking a shower.
It’s best to use extra virgin olive oil as it’s the least processed of all varieties.
Baking soda is a readily available substance. It is also rich in antifungal properties that are effective against a couple of skin infections.
- Use baking soda on wet hair, gently massaging it on the scalp.
- Leave it for around 2 minutes to settle in.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly using regular shampoo.
Repeat the process regularly until you feel a noticeable decrease in flakes and itchiness.
Lemon juice is an acidic substance. It can help remove the fungus causing dandruff by the following steps:
- Extract some juice from fresh lemons at home.
- Take two to three tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Massage it gently and evenly onto your scalp.
- Allow the juice to settle for approximately 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with regular shampoo.
- Repeat a few times a week.
Lemon juice helps your scalp maintain a neutral pH level.
Aloe vera is a succulent plant that provides relief to many skin conditions. It is very effective against skin injuries where inflammation is the critical issue.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and cut it.
- Slice out the juice and apply it to your scalp.
- Gently massage your scalp.
- Over time, there will be less hair loss and dandruff side effects.
Applying aloe vera juice will cause a soothing sensation due to its antifungal properties.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antifungal properties that fight dandruff.
- One good method to use apple cider vinegar is to take some quantity and mix it with the same amount of water.
- To make the process easier, you can put the mixture in a spray bottle and spray it onto your hair scalp.
- You can also mix a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with any of the above natural hair remedy substances.
It will also restore the pH value of your hair scalp.
How to naturally prevent dandruff on hair?
Apart from treating dandruff, you could also follow some tips to prevent it:
- If you love wearing hats or tying your hair up, try changing it up once in a while. Air circulation is essential.
- Use a regular shampoo to treat mild dandruff.
- For severe dandruff issues, you can switch to a dandruff shampoo instead.
- Keep a well-balanced diet.
With all the above tips and remedies, you’ll prevent dandruff from appearing.
Dandruff is caused by oily residue on the scalp and not dryness. If you notice large white or yellow flakes, it’s dandruff and not buildup. More dandruff symptoms also include inflammation and excessive itchiness.
You can treat dandruff quickly using natural substances like coconut oil, tea tree oil, olive oil, baking soda, lemon juice, aloe vera and apple cider vinegar.
Prevention is always better than cure though. So maintain a well-balanced diet, consume Vitamin E (Benefits the Hair and Skin) which and regular hair care to avoid dandruff!Hair Oil BenefitsHow to have Happy HairNatural Hair Treatments